Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title

What powder and bullets for me

I got a good deal on a 650 this weekend and am getting ramped up to start loading. After months of reading and talking to people I believe I have a good basic knowledge of what’s going on but would like to ask a few questions.

Powders, there are so many to choose from. Reloading room pics I see folks have 15 different kinds. I get you need ones for specific things. But for the beginner shooting pistol what’s a good brand to start with? Does one meter better then another? Titegroup seem to be the popular choice now days. More specific for me 9mm, prefer 124gr and shoot steel challenge matches.

Bullets. I know FMJ and lead. I see plated now. Are they just as good as FMJ? Shape of bullet head, round nose, flat nose, cone flat point, is it just personal preference? Last what’s a good price on bullets? I see .07-.08 cents on plated 9mm bullets.

Thanks for your help,
    Tony

Title
    Premium Member
    Wow vast topics.
    Congratulationson the XL650, its a great press.
    As for powder, HP38/Win231 are the same powder and will work well in many different pistol loads. Also Powder Pistol or BE86 are good choices for a little more powerful load. All work well in 9mm.
    Ball or sometimes called spherical powders generally meter better than stick, sometimes called extruded, or flake powders. Stick being the worst.
    Bullets, Don’t buy in large quantities until you are sure they work well in your gun(s). You don’t want to be stuck with bullets that don‘t shoot well.
    Plated bullets have a really thin copper plating, placing them in between cast and jacketed. Try not to push them as hard as a truly jacketed bullet. A swaged lead bullet (different than cast) made from almost pure lead, usually will be lightly loaded to avoid barrel leading.
    Last edited by Big Eddy; 03-03-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tony13 View Post
    I got a good deal on a 650 this weekend and am getting ramped up to start loading. After months of reading and talking to people I believe I have a good basic knowledge of what’s going on but would like to ask a few questions.

Powders, there are so many to choose from. Reloading room pics I see folks have 15 different kinds. I get you need ones for specific things. But for the beginner shooting pistol what’s a good brand to start with? Does one meter better then another? Titegroup seem to be the popular choice now days. More specific for me 9mm, prefer 124gr and shoot steel challenge matches.

Bullets. I know FMJ and lead. I see plated now. Are they just as good as FMJ? Shape of bullet head, round nose, flat nose, cone flat point, is it just personal preference? Last what’s a good price on bullets? I see .07-.08 cents on plated 9mm bullets.

Thanks for your help,
    Tony
    I've found that CFE Pistol is a great powder for 9mm and numerous other pistol calibers. It's easy for me to find locally, meters great and is relatively clean.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Accurate Arms #2 is a very good one.
    Meters well, and works in 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 38spl, and many others

Title
    Premium Member
    So many different powders to choose from. The ones already mentioned are great. Others I’ve used, with good results, are bullseye and tightgroup. The plated bullets are very popular now because they can be loaded light like lead bullets but are clean, no leading, like a jacketed bullet. Round nose bullets are what I use, and see most people using.

JTD

Title
    I use TiteGroup behind 124gr Hornady HP and 147gr XTPs. It's the only powder I've used since I started loading for my nines.

Title
    Thanks guys. Went with titegroup this time. Seems to be a popular choice at my club and the online club. RN will be the choice of bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    I can tell you what I'm finishing up and will not be getting more, Power Pistol. Just do not seem to like it.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell